Tuesday, January 6, 2015

Kathy Griffin to Continue Joan Rivers' Style of 'Taking No Prisoners' on 'Fashion Police'

Just days before the Golden Globes, Griffin encourages stars "to not play it so safe"
Kathy Griffin with Joan Rivers

New Fashion Police co-host Kathy Griffin is aware that Joan Rivers left some large shoes for her to fill when she takes over for the late comedian on the E! red-carpet fashion program, but Griffin says she's bringing her "own slippers."

"I will continue, if nothing else, in her fearless style of taking no prisoners," Griffin said of her approach in an interview on Monday's Today show. "But our styles were different. I’m a different human being, I’m more improvisational and I don’t know what I’m going to say and neither does anyone else on the panel.”
Watch more Kathy Griffin's First 'Fashion Police' Promo
Griffin, who sat down with Savannah Guthrie during the 8 o'clock hour and with Hoda Kotb and Jenna Bush Hager during the 10 o'clock hour, said she'd honor Rivers by not holding back.
"The show is something that started out as red-carpet commentary, and then Joan really elevated it and put all of these designers on the map and then had fun with it in a way that was fearless and no-holds-barred. And I think that's what you want to see," Griffin told Kotb and Hager. "So I'm going to be that person. I'm going to take one for the team."
Griffin said Rivers' daughter, Melissa, called her up and said that her mother would have given her blessing, which she said was what made her decide to join the show.
Read more Kathy Griffin Named 'Fashion Police' Host
And just days before the Golden Globes, which the new Fashion Police lineup will devote its first show to critiquing, Griffin had a message for Hollywood:
"I would like to encourage the gentlemen and ladies to not play it so safe," she told Guthrie. "I think this could be the year where people take some risks and I like it."
She also revealed that she's already put a few of her favorite targets on the worst-dressed list.
"I have told several people that they're on the worst-dressed list sight unseen, just to mess with their heads," she said. "Like I've told Ryan Seacrest several times, he's on the worst-dressed list, sight unseen. Of course, Anderson Cooper, I said you're going to be worst dressed every week just for fun, even if you don't leave your house."

For more of a sense of what Griffin has planned for her version of Fashion Police, watch her full interviews below.

No comments:

Post a Comment